Philippines: International Mother Language Day and the launch of the International Year of Languages

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Thu Feb 21 16:06:51 UTC 2008

Manilla Bulletin

International Mother Language Day and the launch of the International Year of Languages

This year, the Day will place special emphasis on international standard-setting instruments related to multilingualism. Educational campaigns, scientific seminars, and other promotional activities will be held in the member states of the United Nations.

For a country that has its share of languages, 171 in the last ethnologue, we Filipinos should quickly understand the role that language plays in defining a distinct group, allowing each of us to appreciate their diversity that when woven together fortifies rather than deters our effort in building our nation. In celebrating International Mother Language Day and the launch of the International Year of Languages, let us be reminded of the call - languages do matter!

Full story:

http://www.mb.com.ph/OPED20080221117488.html