Como Se Dice? Obama Clarifies Comments Over Foreign Languages

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Wed Jul 16 19:47:22 UTC 2008

Via lgpolicy...

Como Se Dice? Obama Clarifies Comments Over Foreign Languages
 Email
 Share July 11, 2008 1:22 PM

ABC News' Sunlen Miller reports: Sen. Barack Obama reiterated his
belief Friday that America's children to learn a foreign language,
firing back against criticism he received from some conservative
groups who suggested the Illinois senator wanted to make the United
States a bilingual country.

Speaking in Powder Springs, GA on Tuesday Obama told the crowd that
it's embarrassing when Europeans come to the US and they all speak
English. By comparison, Obama said, America's young people do not have
matching language skills.

"All we can say is merci beacoup," Obama said. "We should be
emphasizing foreign languages in our schools from an early age."

The statements prompted outrage from some conservative groups who
argued his remarks were an endorsement of the idea that Americans
should be forced to learn Spanish.  Americans for Legal Immigration
PAC posted Obama's comments on their website with the headline:
"Voters Reject Obama's Call for Bilingualism."

Full story:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/07/como-se-dice-ob.html