Question on link between language and culture

sicola at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU sicola at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Thu Jul 24 18:46:44 UTC 2008

Hello everyone,

It is pretty commonly understood and documented that there is a need to
understand a given culture in order to speak the relevant language(s) with a
communicative competence that goes beyond syntactic and lexical surface
accuracy. But is there also some good, accessible documentation showing the
reverse? I.e. that you need to study a language in order to more deeply
understand the culture(s) that use it? I presume it's a rather cyclical
relationship betwen language learning and cultural insight. If anyone has some
good references that address the "learning language leads to cultural
understanding" directionality, I'd be very grateful. My intent is to find
supporting evidence for a talk I'm giving to "average business people" who may
otherwise assume they can simply read a book on "doing business in (country)"
and learn all they need to know about living and working in that environment,
and thus don't need to attempt to learn the local language.

Thanks!

Laura

--
Laura Sicola, PhD