The Impending Death of Face-to-Face Instruction

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Tue Jun 10 14:23:38 UTC 2008

Education Week

The Impending Death of Face-to-Face Instruction

By William J. Price

I describe this phenomenon because, in my world of work, I am viewed by colleagues as a Neo-Luddite. As a professor of education in a large graduate program at a Midwestern university, I do not, unlike nearly everyone else on our faculty, teach online courses. I have quietly avoided giving up face-to-face instruction, despite a veritable tsunami of Internet-based instructional designs sweeping across America's educational institutions.

Schools at all levels are racing toward this profound transformation in learning. Community colleges, in particular, are investing heavily in the delivery of their curricula online. In secondary schools, online instruction is no longer offered only to top-achieving students, but is increasingly an expectation for all students. In my own home state of Michigan, an online course experience is now a graduation requirement for every high school student.

Full story:

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2008/06/11/41price_ep.h27.html