Ireland: Language learning may prove a lifeline for new graduates

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Wed Nov 4 23:22:32 UTC 2009

Trinity News

Language learning may prove a lifeline for new graduates

Ireland was once classified as "the world's most globalised economy". However, our poor language skills and severe lack of cultural adaptability is unforgivable, especially in such a foreign trade dependent economy.

After recent figures published by the European Union revealed one in five Irish students do not study an additional language, it has been suggested that learning languages could be key to Ireland's recovery. Furthermore, statistics also showed that just eight per-cent of Irish pupils learn two or more languages, while the average for the continent is more than sixty per-cent.

At a time of economic recession, Ireland should be focusing its efforts on language teaching, as having a workforce which is strong linguistically can be a significant aid to a country's competitiveness. By following our European counterparts and placing more importance on this issue, the road to recovery from the current downturn could be cut a lot shorter.

Full story:

http://www.trinitynews.ie/index.php/features/business/610-language-learning-may-prove-a-lifeline-for-new-graduates