Reading list for PhD students in SLA/Ed Ling.

tom zurinskas tzurinskas at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 24 08:47:28 UTC 2013

Perhaps PhD students can figure out how to apply "linguistics" to the big new initiative in US education called "common core".  Under teaching "phonetics" the only application is in k-1.  Do they even know what "phonetics" is.  My take is that the only answer is truespel phonetics, which is the only English-based phonetic notation simple enough for kids in k-1.  It then is not to be forgotten but expanded to replace dictionary keys as a notation that can actually be useful because it's keyboard and English friendly.

How "phonetics"
applied in the US common core education plan?  See http://justpaste.it/comcoreenglish .  Note that it's not
mentioned in the
"reading" or "writing" sections but in the
"language" section for k-1 and nowhere else.  See below

Kindergarten -
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.K.2d Spell simple words phonetically, drawing on knowledge
of sound-letter relationships.
First grade -
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.1.2e Spell untaught words phonetically, drawing on phonemic
awareness and spelling conventions.

Tom Zurinskas, President Truespel Inc.
See truespel phonetics converter at http://truespel.com
See Tutorials at http://justpaste.it/course2