Reading list for PhD students in SLA/Ed Ling.

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 24 13:53:55 UTC 2013

I teach SLA at both undergrad and MA level.  As texts to provide a good historical overview of the history of SLA research I can recommend Rod Ellis 2008 The Study of Second Language Acquisition (2nd edition), Oxford: Oxford University Press, Rosamund Mitchell and Florence Myles 2012: Second Language Learning Theories, Routledge.  As you are concerned with PhD students who may want to delve deeper into the current debates surrounding SLA I would start with the 1997 article by Firth and Wagner
On Discourse, Communication, and (Some) Fundamental Concepts in SLA Research in Modern Language Journal Vol. 81, No. 3 (Autumn, 1997), pp. 285-300.  I would also consider the responses to this article and the 2007 special edition of the Modern Language Journal which reviews developments (or lack of) brought about by the original Firth and Wagner article.  I don't have the details to hand, but a quick google search will find it.

I know this is straying into socio/socio-cognitive aspects of SLA, but I would also recommend David Block, the Social Turn in Second Language Acquisition as it also provides a comprehensive overview of psycholinguistic/cognitive approaches before introducing the social aspect.

Finally, to bring the suggestions right up to date, I would consider SLA as a dynamic and/or complex system.  Try Larsen-Freeman and Cameron, Complex Systems and Applied Linguistics 2010 (Oxford) and articles by de Bot, Lowie and Verspoor on Dynamic Systems Theory.  Again, I don't have the citations to hand, but you'll find them on google.

Hope that helps

Anne Marie