US: When You Make Fun of Rachel Jeantel, You Make Fun of Us

Francis Hult francis.hult at englund.lu.se
Fri Jun 28 06:51:47 UTC 2013

Ebony

When You Make Fun of Rachel Jeantel, You Make Fun of Us

When we saw Rachel Jeantel on the witness stand today, we saw ourselves. We saw the daughter of immigrants, the product of Miami Norland Senior High School and the poignant realities of the disparities in our public education system that provides unequal opportunities to many immigrant students and students of color. However, none of that gave us pause or made us ashamed. Instead it was the mocking disdain from the stewards of respectability amongst the Black bourgeoisie (real and imagined) that caused us to cringe in embarrassment.

Full story:
http://www.ebony.com/news-views/when-you-make-fun-of-rachel-jeantel-you-make-fun-of-us-333#axzz2XSN22JRP