Research Fellowships at NIE Singapore
O'BRIEN Beth Ann (CRPP)
beth.obrien at nie.edu.sg
Sat Jun 21 15:22:00 UTC 2014
Research Assistants/Associates/Fellows (Centre for Research in Pedagogy and Practice) [OER 9/14 RB]
The National Institute of Education invites suitable applications for the position of Research Associate on a contract until Aug 31st 2015 (with strong possibility for annual renewal until end of 2017) at the Centre for Research in Pedagogy & Practice.
Project Title: Preschool Impact Upon Child Outcomes: A Longitudinal Study of Transition from Preschool to Primary
Project Introduction: The project aims to evaluate the academic, cognitive, and socio-emotional outcomes for children as they enter primary school, and how these vary according to the process and structural factors of the preschool environment. In this study, we focus on the nature and impact of teacher-child interactions as a key process factor, along with other structural factors (class size, teacher-child ratio, physical environment and teacher qualifications, training and experience) to arrive at an overall measure of the quality of the children’s learning experiences. Our main aim is to examine how these process and structural factors, together with factors associated with the home background, influence children’s developmental outcomes across the preschool period, and influence their readiness for starting primary school. Specifically, we will focus on their impact on the development of children’s mathematical and language and literacy skills (English and Mother Tongue), self-regulation, and socio-emotional competencies. The project will involve one-to-one testing with preschool children, observation in classrooms, and data collection from parents and teachers.
Requirements and Responsibilities
For the post of research fellow, we are particularly interested in individuals who may be able to head up research in a specific mother tongue (Mandarin, Malay, or Tamil).
* Recent PhD or about to complete PhD in Psychology, Education, or Linguistics
* Good theoretical knowledge of research designs in general
* Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
* Excellent organizational skills and able to work within given deadlines
· Good project management skills, proactive and uses initiative
· Excellent problem-solving skills
· Good leadership ability
· Good supervisory skills
· Good team player
* Prior experience in education research
* Good statistical knowledge and skills
* Good IT skills
* Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
* Experience in working with teachers and students in Singapore schools
* Work closely with the project leaders and MOE colleagues to ensure reliable and on-time collection of data, and assume some intellectual responsibility for the project.
· Propose, design and implement appropriate research methodologies
· Resolve research problems and manage research variables.
· Present research findings to a variety of audiences using multiple formats
· Write research reports and papers independently
* Manage research project including scheduling and liaising with schools, and leading a team of research assistants and associates
* Coordinate and assist in data collection
· Conduct literature and database searches; identify key findings of previous research and summarise the literature surveys / past research papers
* Manage research data and keep up-to-date research records, summarise research findings and be able to perform data analyses
* Perform other tasks as required by the Principal Investigator
Applicants should complete and submit the following item/s:
- Application form for Research Positions<http://www.nie.edu.sg/about-nie/careers/submit-application> (https://www.nie.edu.sg/about-nie/careers/submit-application<https://www.researchgate.net/go.Deref.html?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nie.edu.sg%2Fabout-nie%2Fcareers%2Fsubmit-application>)
- Cover letter addressing how you meet the requirements of this position
- Supporting documents as stated on the job application form
- Other documents that demonstrate your qualifications
Please send your application to:
Dr. Rebecca Bull
Senior Research Scientist
Centre for Research in Pedagogy and Practice
National Institute of Education
1 Nanyang Walk
Email: rebecca.bull at nie.edu.sg<mailto:rebecca.bull at nie.edu.sg>
**We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified**
Review of applicants will commence immediately upon receipt of applications and will continue until all positions are filled.
National Institute of Education (Singapore) http://www.nie.edu.sg
DISCLAIMER : The information contained in this email, including any attachments, may contain confidential information.
This email is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) listed above. Unauthorised sight, dissemination or any other
use of the information contained in this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email by fault, please
notify the sender and delete it immediately.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
Edling mailing list
Edling at bunner.geol.lu.se
More information about the Edling