[Edling] Art Project – Nightschool on Anarres

MARTIN EDWARDES martin.edwardes at btopenworld.com
Tue Jun 21 10:49:38 UTC 2016

Folks, I'mcurrently involved in an art installation at King's College London, "Pathsto Utopia" (http://www.kcl.ac.uk/Cultural/newsandviews/newsrecords/160519-Paths-to-Utopia.aspx). Our project within theinstallation is "Nightschool on Anarres" (http://www.kcl.ac.uk/cultural/Cultural-Institute/Utopia2016/Commissions/Night-School.aspx). If you are in London overthe Summer I can recommend visiting the installation. Myrole in the project has been to create the language, Pravic, to be as faithfulas possible to Ursula Le Guin's description in “The Dispossessed”. What I cameup with is given here: http://martinedwardes.webplus.net/pravic/. I will be giving a seriesof talks during July and August, ostensibly to teach Pravic, but mainly todiscuss the way language can affect thought (yes, I'm a neo-relativist). Thisis something quite different for me, my Making of Language BA module is delivered to an audienceheld captive by grade-neediness; and it's about them constructing a language,not trying to sell my own homemade product. Any suggestions of how I couldapproach this teaching experience will be gratefully received. Please reply off-list. Martin EdwardesBSc MA PhD, FRAIVisiting Lecturer KCLBAAL Web Editor, UKLO Committee, EAORC Compilermartin.edwardes at btopenworld.com