[Edling] Join us for VIU's Voices from the Field on Practicing Non-Violent Communication 11/02/2017 at 3:30 (virtually or in Fairfax, VA)

Kevin J. Martin kevjmartin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 13:36:26 UTC 2017

Dear EDLingers,

Please join the School of Education for the Voices from the Field (VFF)
Series, for a talk on practicing non-violent communication. The session
will be available on campus AND virtually.

Our guest speaker, Dr. Joy Peyton, will be giving a talk entitled "*Practicing
Nonviolent Communication: Speaking the language of peace in the classroom
and society.*”

   - DATE: *Thursday, November 2nd, 2017*
   - TIME: *3:30-4:30 pm EDT*
   - IN-PERSON: *4401 Village Drive*, Fairfax, VA 22030 in *VD 205*
   - VIRTUALLY:
   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz-jKsTv7Kol1UTpfHPCO5g/live
   <http://email.mg.regroup.com/c/eJwVjsGKwyAURb8m7iov-tS4cFFCh4EuZhbtB6RqEts0hlQT2q8fB-7ici4crjONarT1JBgGtQLNRC1ACqQoRQNUKtQn5ErK9tTwVlQIz4GuflhjXqiNTzKaHlUNgL12ruM3DhYlk1oqzQVw3jkymTGl5VXxY8W-SvZ9p--YU775f0Uhduzm2U-lXdvP4X5-XTZ1jlN9vSz992_7I4YyTWHzZDUPv4W5_NhCpt5lkkyKS7AHxkEgsD_z1z3U>
(available
   15 minutes before the session begins)

 *Talk Summary*

*Many of us are interested in and strive for peaceful engagement in our
families, communities, schools, and nation, and there are strong calls for
peace within our education community (e.g., Oxford, 2013; The Language of
Peace: Communicating to Create Harmony) and in international engagement
initiatives (e.g., Gopin, 2016; Healing the Heart of Conflict). However,
understandings about ways to live in peace often remain abstract, and the
language that we observe in politics, the media, and even in education (and
that we use ourselves) is often filled with judgments, labels, and blame,
and we increasingly see misunderstandings and division across, and even
within, the groups that we care about and engage with. The goals of this
talk are to review key principles and components of nonviolent
communication, which teachers can use with learners and colleagues and in
their classes, and all of us can use in our daily lives. These include ways
to Observe, express our own Feelings, understand our Needs, and make
Requests.*

This event is *FREE* and *OPEN TO THE PUBLIC*. Space is limited, so
*pre-registration
is required*. Please register at least 24 hours before the event. If
registration is full, please put yourself on the waiting list, as we will
try to find a larger room for the session if necessary.

*To register or to view upcoming or past VFF sessions, please visit our VFF
page*:
http://www.viu.edu/sed/prospective-students-3/voices-from-the-field/vff-2017-2018.html
(registration
instructions are at the bottom of the 2017-2018 page).

Questions?  Contact Kevin Martin (Associate Dean, School of Education) at
kevin at viu.edu, follow us on social media @SEDatVIU and @TESOLVIU, and visit
the School of Education’s website at www.viu.edu/sed!

We hope to see you at our VFF event!

*Kevin J. Martin*

*Associate Dean, School of Education*

*Conference on Language, Learning, and Culture Organizer*

*Kappa Delta Pi Liaison*

*Virginia International University*

www.viu.edu

4401 Village Drive