[Edling] interrupted education

karen stanley karenstanleyma at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 21:57:43 UTC 2019

 We have a student in our community college Academic ESL Program who (I just discovered) had her education interrupted at the age of 12 (in Myanmar).  It didn't resume until age 16 in the US, and she feels her teachers here just past her without her truly learning what she needed to know.  She feels that she cannot function in Burmese.

Who can point me towards articles / resources that provide some indication of how to help students in this type of situation?  At this point, we need practical suggestions that help move her forward, so articles with that kind of help are particularly valued.

Thanks!

Karen Stanley
Professor, Academic ESL
karen.stanley at cpcc.edu