[Edling] New edited volume "Envisioning TESOL through a Translanguaging Lens: Global Perspectives" is available online now

Zhongfeng Tian zhongfeng.tian at utsa.edu
Sun Sep 13 18:49:20 UTC 2020

Dear Colleagues,

Our co-edited volume "Envisioning TESOL through a Translanguaging Lens: Global Perspectives" (Springer, 2020) is available online now (https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030470302).

Our aim is to open a critical conversation about English teaching and learning by re-examining TESOL through a translanguaging lens. The contributions reflect diverse views in TESOL scholarship from five continents. The authors respond to the multilingual turn in language education and challenge the monolingual orthodoxy and the native-speakerism paradigm by valuing the linguistic resources or repertoires of individuals holistically. Through bringing theoretical and pedagogical orientations of translanguaging into TESOL, teachers and learners’ full linguistic repertoires become integral to the teaching and learning of English. This shift serves to transform the roles of teachers and learners in TESOL.

This book is intended for educators and language teachers in the fields of TESOL and foreign language education. Additionally, this book is intended for graduate and undergraduate students seeking a degree in second language teaching, teaching English as a second and foreign language, and applied linguistics.

The conceptualization of this volume was particularly inspired by the thinking and work of Ofelia García. Her theorization of the notion of translanguaging was instrumental in our own thinking of how to envision the possibilities of TESOL classrooms, and beyond the citations, the imprint of her ideas is everywhere across the chapters. We would also like to thank Francis Hult, the Educational Linguistics series editor at Springer, for his supporting in moving the idea for this book forward. Finally, we want to thank the contributing authors. The overwhelming response we received from the call for proposals convinced us that this topic had struck a chord, and we greatly appreciate the authors’ hard work and timeliness in making this volume possible.

We are sharing a discount flyer (see attached) if you're interested in getting a copy. It's valid from 9/15 - 10/13/2020. We are also attaching the Front Matter of the book where you will find a Foreword by Prof. Angel M. Y. Lin, our Preface, Table of Contents, and a list of contributors. It is also available here: https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/bfm%3A978-3-030-47031-9%2F1.pdf.

[cid:6f0a8eab-2028-4a5d-8d61-88a9ce666c71][cid:a456c6c4-3878-4ac5-954e-98671f05c6db]

Please feel free to contact any of us if you have any questions. We hope that you will find this volume helpful and look forward to your feedback!

Best,
Zhongfeng Tian
Laila Aghai
Peter Sayer
Jamie L. Schissel

Zhongfeng Tian (田中锋), Ph.D.

Assistant Professor of TESL Teacher Education/Applied Linguistics

The University of Texas at San Antonio

COEHD Bicultural Bilingual Std

zhongfeng.tian at utsa.edu

One UTSA Circle,

San Antonio, TX 78249-3209

Recent Publications:

Tian, Z., Aghai, L., Sayer, P., & Schissel, J. L. (Eds.) (2020). Envisioning TESOL through a Translanguaging Lens: Global Perspectives.<https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030470302> Switzerland: Springer International Publishing. [available now!]

Paulsrud, B., Tian, Z., & Toth, J., (Eds.) (forthcoming; 2021). English-medium Instruction and Translanguaging<https://www.multilingual-matters.com/page/detail/?k=9781788927314>. Bristol, UK: Multilingual Matters. [available for pre-order now!]

Tian, Z., & Shepard-Carey, L. (2020). (Re)imagining the Future of Translanguaging Pedagogies in TESOL through Teacher-Researcher Collaboration. TESOL Quarterly. DOI: 10.1002/tesq.614<https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/tesq.614>