[Edling] CARLA Online Summer Institute (June-July 2021): Teaching Linguistic Politeness and Intercultural Awareness

ishi0029--- via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Sun Apr 18 02:57:06 UTC 2021

The Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA, University
of Minnesota) is offering an online 3-week course for language
educators/researchers on the teaching of intercultural awareness and
pragmatics. Recent groups of participants included a great mix of
researchers and teachers from US, Japan, Brazil, the Philippines, Spain,
Taiwan, Kenya, Algeria, Australia, and more.

Join the more than 6,700 language educators who have participated in this
acclaimed professional development program.

Register by April 30 to save $50.

 <https://carla.umn.edu/institutes/2021/linguistic.html> Language & Culture
in Sync: Teaching Linguistic Politeness and Intercultural Awareness
<http://click.ecommunications2.umn.edu/?qs=1f9c595d598e9a1d213eeb8e06d77651a
bc762b45c54fba8950e76d7482983cee55543c8be4479192d10414eb8d4ad09>
Asynchronous 3-week online institute
June 28-July 16, 2021
Teachers will gain practical insights on enhancing student learning of
linguistic politeness and boosting students' awareness of intercultural
understanding.
Instructor: Noriko Ishihara

A truly daunting challenge for second language learners is to adjust their
language use so that it is appropriate for a variety of socio-cultural
contexts. How, for example, are learners supposed to address strangers,
close friends, or people of higher social status in that culture? Although
acquiring culturally-sensitive discourse practices can take learners many
years, research has shown that the process can be facilitated through
explicit instruction.

This institute provides practical insights for teachers on how to enhance
the learning of linguistic politeness and boost students' awareness of
intercultural differences. Participants will have hands-on opportunities to
develop activities and materials for the classroom.

After this institute, you will be able to:

*        Identify general similarities and differences in expressions of
linguistic politeness in at least two languages;

*        Identify learners' needs in intercultural communication;

*        Develop a pragmatics-focused instruction and assessments that
incorporate research-based information; and

*        Demonstrate awareness of the link between sociocultural identities
and pragmatic expressions and develop culturally-sensitive instruction and
assessments based on this awareness.

This course helped me develop my ability to think critically about language
and prepared me to integrate pragmatics in my Spanish-language curriculum.
With the help of my instructor and the rest of the participants in this
course, I learned how to approach the teaching of pragmatics in different
proficiency levels and to design lesson plans that promote learners'
autonomy through awareness raising activities and authentic language
samples. It was the most thought-provoking and useful teaching institute I
have ever participated in!

-Celia Bravo Diaz, 2019 Participant

See more <https://carla.umn.edu/institutes/2021/linguistic.html>  about this
institute.

Noriko Ishihara, PhD
Hosei University, Professor of Applied Linguistics/EFL
Kanda University of International Studies, Adjunct Professor of Applied
Linguistics/TESOL
Email:  <mailto:ishi0029 at gmail.com> ishi0029 at gmail.com
Website:  <https://ishi0029.wixsite.com/norikoishihara>
https://ishi0029.wixsite.com/norikoishihara