[Edling] In Memory of Jan Blommaert

Francis M. Hult via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Tue Jan 12 18:53:01 UTC 2021

News Tilburg University

In Memory of Jan Blommaert

Sjaak Kroon
Department of Culture Studies
School of Humanities and Digital Sciences
Tilburg University

It is with deep sadness that we received the news that January 7th, 2021,
Jan Blommaert passed away at the age of 59. The message that he sent us
last March was short and to the point: “Friends, it looks as if I have
terminal cancer. More news soon.” A ten months’ period of treatment with
ups and downs followed and all the time Jan kept us informed through social
media messages, interviews, and even a published account of what he deemed
important in his scholarly life.

Full text:
https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/current/news/more-news/memory-jan-blommaert

--
*Francis M. Hult, PhD, FRGS* | Professor
Department of Education

Editor, Educational Linguistics Book Series
<https://www.springer.com/series/5894>
Co-Editor, Contributions to the Sociology of Language Book Series
<https://www.degruyter.com/view/serial/16644>

Web Profile <https://education.umbc.edu/faculty-list/francis-m-hult/> |
Academia.edu <http://umbc.academia.edu/FrancisMHult> | TESOL at UMBC
<http://esol.umbc.edu/>