[Edling] AAAL Distinguished Public Service Award: Please submit nominations by June 1st

Manka Varghese via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Mon May 2 18:52:12 UTC 2022

Dear colleagues,

Hope everyone is staying as well as possible.

The DPSA committee would like to encourage nominations for the following
award:

The purpose of the Distinguished Public Service Award Committee is to
acknowledge work by (a) non-AAAL member(s) that raises public awareness
of important social issues involving language through the AAAL Award for
Distinguished Public Service.

The award is given to an individual or team of non-AAAL members,
including but not limited to, writers, politicians, and other
high-profile figures.

The submission form is embedded here:
https://www.aaal.org/distinguished-public-service

Thanks! Please let me know if you have questions about this award or the
process for submission.

Manka

--
Manka Varghese, Ph.D

Professor

Chair, Teaching, Learning, and Curriculum (07/01/2021-06/30/2024)

University of Washington, College of Education

Language, Literacy and Culture

122R Miller Hall

Box 353600

Seattle, WA. 98195-3600

http://education.washington.edu/areas/ci/profiles/varghese.html

she/her/hers pronouns

The University of Washington exists on the unceded lands and waters of the Lushootseed speaking Peoples - the Duwamish, Muckleshoot, Suquamish, Snoqualmie, Tulalip,
and Puyallup- and I am grateful to live and work as a guest on these lands. This land acknowledgement is one small act in the ongoing process of working to be in good
relationship with the land and the people of the land. At the same time, it must be recognized that material and community-centered actions are needed to address authentic
change for these communities.

"ways for humans to practice being in right relationship to our home and each other, to practice complexity, and grow a compelling future together through relatively
simple interactions.... how we intentionally change in ways that grow our capacity to embody the just and liberated worlds we long for"
in emergent strategy by adrienne maree brown