[Edling] Call for bilingual chapter proposals on family engagement

Johnson, Eric Joseph via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Wed May 4 18:09:12 UTC 2022

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to invite chapter proposals for an edited volume titled:

Critical Perspectives on Family Connections in Multilingual Education: Celebrating Successes and Confronting Challenges  /  Perspectivas Críticas de las Conexiones Familiares en la Educación Multilingüe: Celebrando los Éxitos y Enfrentando los Desafíos.

We see this volume reaching a broad audience interested in language and education research, teacher preparation, and professional development in K-12 schools. As the titles suggest, this book will include chapters in English and Spanish (i.e., not translations, we seek original contributions in both languages). This project is supported by a publishing agreement with Information Age Publishing (IAP).

Scope of Topics

Our overarching goal is to contribute to the growing awareness of the significance of family engagement practices within culturally and linguistically diverse schooling contexts. To accomplish this goal, we invite chapters that examine family engagement policies, programs, and/or professional practices that (explicitly or implicitly) influence the ways in which multilingual students and families are connected to – or disconnected from – school settings. We are seeking contributions from a variety of perspectives, including policy analysis research, theoretical and conceptual discussions, descriptions of programmatic frameworks, and ethnographic portraits of family engagement efforts. We also welcome collaborative work that integrates first-hand reflections from practitioners, students, and families who are at the center of schooling practices. While we are particularly interested in contributions that illustrate the experiences of K-12 educators, families, and students, we are also open to work that examines university educator preparation programs and how preservice teachers and school leaders are trained (or not) to effectively engage with linguistically and culturally diverse families. We encourage critiques and celebrations of different models of family engagement, accounts on the role of language in community and family partnerships, and discussions on other concepts relevant to multilingual students and classrooms.

Bilingual Book Structure

In an effort to expand the literature in the areas of family engagement and multilingual education, we aim to include a balanced number of chapters in Spanish and English. While current work published in Spanish that focuses on US schooling contexts (excluding foreign language teaching) is not entirely absent in the literature (e.g., Guerrero et al., 2017; Montrul, 2013; Mercuri et al., 2021; Nieto, 2020; Schwarzer et al., 2021), scholarly publications in languages other than English that explore the intersection of multilingual education programs and family engagement are much needed. To address this point, the bilingual structure of this book is intended to:

  *   highlight the significance of Spanish-language scholarship in educational research literature in the US;
  *   provide multilingual scholars and researchers with a platform for disseminating their work in either Spanish or English;
  *   highlight the use of both languages to examine topics surrounding multilingualism;
  *   provide bilingual publications for teacher preparation programs that offer courses in Spanish and English; and
  *   support professional development efforts in school districts with bilingual educators.

While we seek contributions in Spanish, the topics discussed in the book do not need to focus solely on Spanish-speaking students and families – i.e., we want to include work that encompasses multiple linguistic contexts and communities. Moreover, we are open to translanguaging approaches and do not expect translations between Spanish and English within the discussions.

Chapter Proposal Submission

  *   Contact Info: State the name(s) of the author(s), institutional affiliation(s), and contact details at the top of the page.
  *   Chapter Proposal: Provide a working title and a narrative of 400 - 500 words (not including references, no more than 10 key references). The proposal should describe the aim of the discussion, key points, and how the proposed chapter contributes to the literature on family engagement and multilingual education.
  *   Language of Publication: The proposal should be written in the language that will be used for the final chapter contribution.
  *   Format: Please use Times New Roman, 12 point font, double-spaced, and follow APA 7th Edition formatting.

Final Chapters

  *   Authors of accepted proposals will have 6 months to submit a final draft of their chapter.
  *   The final chapter should be 3,000 to 5,000 words.
  *   All chapters should be original work and not published in other venues.

 Projected Timeline

  *   Chapter proposal due: June 1st, 2022
  *   Notification of acceptance: July 1st, 2022
  *   Full chapter due: January 1st, 2023
  *   Internal reviews and solicitation of revisions: March 1st, 2023
  *   Revised chapters due: May 1st, 2023
  *   Submission of book to publisher: July 1st, 2023
  *   Anticipated publication: Winter 2024

Please submit chapter proposals to Eric Johnson (e.johnson at wsu.edu<mailto:e.johnson at wsu.edu>) with Luz Murillo CCd (l_m456 at txstate.edu<mailto:l_m456 at txstate.edu>) by June 1st, 2022.  Let us know if you have any questions regarding the submission process or need feedback on a particular topic you are considering. Please share this call with anyone who might be interested.

Muchas Gracias!

Eric and Luz

Eric J. Johnson

Professor of Multilingual Education

Washington State University

e.johnson at wsu.edu

Luz A. Murillo

Associate Professor of Literacy/Biliteracy Education

Texas State University

l_m456 at txstate.edu

Eric J. Johnson, Ph.D.  (él/he)
Professor of Multilingual Education
Washington State University Tri-Cities
College of Education
2710 Crimson Way
Office 207W
Richland, WA 99354
(509) 372-7304
e.johnson at wsu.edu
education.wsu.edu/ejj/<http://education.wsu.edu/ejj/>

The WSU Tri-Cities Campus is located on the shared traditional homelands of the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation and the Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation.

WSU Statewide Acknowledgement of America's First Peoples:  https://strategicplan.wsu.edu/acknowledgement-of-americas-first-peoples-4/