[Edling] Call for Survey Participants: 'Adult ESOL Education: The State of the Field'

Andrew Sansone asansone at saintpeters.edu
Sat Feb 25 19:30:39 UTC 2023

Calling all* adult ESOL teachers and program administrators*- *make your
voice heard!*

We are excited to announce a new and important research survey centered on
the experiences of *adult English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
teachers and program administrators*.

We invite all ESOL practitioners and colleagues to participate in a
voluntary research survey that will collect data for an intersection panel
discussion titled ‘*Adult ESOL Education: The State of the Field*’ at TESOL
International’s 2023 convention, and which will potentially inform a
written research report.

In our field, we are missing data that reflects the programmatic details
and the experiences/perspectives of adult ESOL practitioners in the field.
Administrators and teachers lack a comprehensive view of adult ESOL, and we
hope to help change that with this survey.

We ask for a bit of your time to help close that gap, and to glean
critically important information that can help push our field forward.

*This survey is open to adult ESOL educators and adult ESOL program
administrators worldwide*, *regardless of membership or affiliation with
TESOL International.*

A link to the survey is below. Please share out to your networks!

*https://forms.gle/cHppYbUB8ZDbTK9e8 <https://forms.gle/cHppYbUB8ZDbTK9e8>*

Feel free to contact the research team directly with questions or comments:
Andrew Sansone (Saint Peter’s University, asansone at saintpeters.edu),
Melissa Hauber-Özer (Assistant Professor of Qualitative Inquiry, University
of Missouri, mhauber at missouri.edu)
Katherine Edwards (Howard Community College, kedwards at howardcc.edu)

*NB For the purposes of this research survey, we identify adult English to
Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) programming as instructional programming
for students with **all** the following characteristics:*

*English-language learnersaged out of high school / secondary level (ISCED
Levels 2-3) schooling.are legally considered adults (in the United States,
18+)are not solely motivated by for-credit coursework or academic degree
attainment.*
**Details about comparative international ISCED Levels can be viewed here: *
https://isced.uis.unesco.org/visualizations/

--

*Andrew Sansone*

Director, Families for Literacy

*NJTESOL/NJBE Adult Education SIG Representative*

*TESOL Adult Education Interest Section Co-Chair *

*SAINT PETER'S UNIVERSITY* | 2641 John F. Kennedy Boulevard | Jersey City,
NJ 07306

*p:* (201) 761-6184 | *p2:* (201) 761-6454

saintpeters.edu/about