[Edling] Online Event | 26 September | Biliteracies and Translanguaging

Francis M. Hult via Edling edling at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Wed Sep 13 14:24:39 UTC 2023

Join us for this important conversation!
[image: Join us for this important conversation!]
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/q8t5vl/e70gggb/u34xymb>
*WEBINAR REGISTRATION OPEN*
REGISTER NOW! <https://t.e2ma.net/click/q8t5vl/e70gggb/aw5xymb>
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/q8t5vl/e70gggb/qo6xymb>

*YOU'RE INVITED!*
*Critical Biliteracies without Borders:*
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/q8t5vl/e70gggb/6g7xymb>
*Translanguaging and Culturally Sustaining Approaches*
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/q8t5vl/e70gggb/m97xymb>
*Tue, Sep 26, 2023 | 4:00 PM EST*
The Sol y Agua research-practice partnership is a team of teachers and
administrators from El Paso Independent School District and researchers
from the University of Texas at El Paso, and our work aimed to center the
biliteracies and experiences US-Mexico borderland students in their
learning of computer science. In this webinar, we share how students’
extensive knowledge of border-crossing and their translanguaging skills
figured centrally in the team’s planning process but receded to the margins
in practice when the curriculum was piloted and how collaborative
reflection and revision of the curriculum helped us to bring biliteracies
back to the center. We share some of the ways that we did this, identify
pressures that made it difficult, and discuss the Continua of Biliteracy as
a tool that can help keep focus on students’ biliteracies in both planning
and practice. Join us for an insightful discussion with topic experts:

   - Marybelle Marrero-Colón, Center for Applied Linguistics
   - Kathy Escamilla, Ph.D., University of Colorado Boulder
   - Nancy H. Hornberger, University of Pennsylvania
   - Katherine S. Mortimer, University of Texas at El Paso

Click the button below to read about the speakers and topic and register
for the event!
REGISTER NOW! <https://t.e2ma.net/click/q8t5vl/e70gggb/218xymb>
This live panel discussion is part of CAL's webinar series, *Critical
Conversations: Research to Policy and Practice*. In this series, we explore
important topics related to language and culture. Register now at the link
above. See you there!
Center for Applied Linguistics

*Promoting access, equity, and mutual understanding for *
*linguistically & culturally diverse people around the world*

4646 40th St NW, Washington, DC 20016 | *info at cal.org <info at cal.org>* |
202-362-0700
*Share this email:*
[image: Email] <https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/e/q8t5vl/e70gggb> [image:
Twitter] <https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/t/q8t5vl/e70gggb> [image:
Facebook] <https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/f/q8t5vl/e70gggb> [image:
LinkedIn] <https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/l/q8t5vl/e70gggb>

View this email *online* <https://t.e2ma.net/message/q8t5vl/e70gggb>.
Center for Applied Linguistics | 4646 40th Street, NW
Washington, DC | 20016 United States
<#m_-7960806686072759748_m_-7782513267567163436_>

[image: powered by emma] <https://t.e2ma.net/click/q8t5vl/e70gggb/iu9xymb>