Native Speaker Pay

T.Matthew Ciolek tmciolek at coombs.anu.edu.au
Wed Mar 20 06:00:13 UTC 1996

------------------ reposted message --------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 12:03:56 -0800 (PST)
From: Mark Donohue <wk767 at freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Native Speaker Pay

My 2c worth:

there can't eb a set rate, because of different socio-economic factors in
different parts of the world, and because of different degrees of funding
afforded to different researchers;

payment in money is, I've found, often VERY insulting and very difficult
to organise well; payment in services and gifts and practical things,
like having a new well dug for a whole village, can be more appropriate;

the most appropriate return that a linguist can give is some sort of work
that s/he is qualified to do, and the locals are not: making primers,
alphabet books, dictionary materials. And also jsut talking about and
making people aware of the issues involved in language endangerment and
language survival.

Probably more that can be said, I'll leave it at that.

Mark Donohue