Lost Language Day

T.Matthew Ciolek tmciolek at coombs.anu.edu.au
Mon May 20 01:03:40 UTC 1996

-------------------- forwarded message ------------------
BOUNCE endangered-languages-l: Non-member submission from [dcheezem at alaska.net (David Cheezem)]

Luisa,

I can't tell you how pleased I am at your repsonse to the Lost Language Da
idea.  This really could work, and there's no reason to think small about
it.

>>From your response, as well as those on the list serve, it is clear that
the day would meet a variety of needs.  Summing up:

        -- The need for public mourning
           Those working closely with endangered people (and vicariously,
those of us like me who are "watching") need some sense of closure, some
ritual to acknowledge and witness the loss

        -- The need for education
           Languages and cultures are dying "right under our noses" and yet
there has not been a public response.  Perhaps materials could be developed
for K-12 classrooms, and activities could be organized at universities and
colleges.

        -- The need for funding
           Private and public foundations should be targeted.

I would expect that you would set up a steering committee of some sort with
representatives from various organizations like Terralingua.  Timing has
always been a confusing issue for me with these kinds of things:  When do
you start contacting UNESCO and other large organizations?  When you
already have everyting lined up, with formal proposals and tentative dates
etc.?  Or do you try to include them in the organizatinal process from the
start?

How do you collect the snippets of lost languages and with their "biographies?"

Please let me know how/if I can help out, keeping in mind my absolute lack
of expertise.  (For example, I am not using the megabyte alotted me for a
web page.  I could throw together a graphically unsophisticated web page
with appropriate links)

At some point, of course, this sort of nitty gritty stuff will have to move
off the Endangered Languages listserve.    I'm just afraid that the purpose
of the listserve would be crowded out by what is essentially an online
committee meeting.  Of course, with the moderator's approval, it would be
useful to make a series of announcements.