Languages of Brazil

Juan Alvaro Echeverri jechever at latino.net.co
Tue Oct 22 04:04:13 UTC 1996

Dear Luciana,

Thanks for your note.  I certainly am interested in the kind of contacts
you mention.  I do feel that in our work in Colombia, and I believe in
other LA countries, we tend to become very provincial, to ignore important
developments that happen in other countries.  That's quite remarkable that
even Indian groups (of the same linguistic stock or language) that live in
two separate countries ignore what's going on on the other side of the
border (and sometimes nationalist identity becomes stronger than, let's
say, ethnic identity).  I learn that very vividly with the Uitoto who live
in Peru and Colombia.

Indian Brazil is large and quite unknown to me.  I appreciate any piece of
information that I can learn.

Thanks again,

Juan A.