"fieldwork"

Karl Teeter kvt at husc.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 13 17:18:34 UTC 1997

		Friends, and Mark: Sorry if what I said seemed obscure.

			 To respond, (1)A "flame" is an ad hominem attack, in
			 my
			 vocabulary, and I seem to remember ad hominem attacks
			 on Victor Golla and
			 Benjamin Lee Whorf in Marks's messages.
			 	  (2) The term for what I said about a
			 linguist becoming a native
			 speaker is "metaphor".  I thought the context made
			 this clear, if not, I
			 am sorry.
			    My intention, reiterated in another message to the
			 list earlier
			 today, was to bring the discussion back to substance,
			 issues, and
			 bibliographical suggestions.  Mark has suggested that
			 he can give a
			 substantive exposition of his position beyond ad
			 hominem attacks and
			 attempts to be funny, and I hope he will!  Yours, kvt

----
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au