ELL: RE: spam and conviction

Matthew McDaniel akha at loxinfo.co.th
Sun Apr 4 11:49:54 UTC 1999

x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
To: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

*** EOOH ***
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 18:49:54 +0700
From: Matthew McDaniel <akha at loxinfo.co.th>
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
Subject: Re: ELL: RE: spam and conviction
Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

I have repeatedly suggested to groups with endangered languages (and possibly
peoples) that they should start a newsletter about their work, a basic web
site
where materials can be collected and that in the end maybe we can find some
common ground issues where one solution might contribute much to everyone.

For instance, we struggle very hard to get computers for writers, a problem
almost unheard of at well to do Universities.  But what if in the future,
having come from this position, we keep this in mind and make spare computers
available for others struggling just as hard for used equipment?

The point is real production of corpus, solving real technical and logistic
problems, all headed to get books into villages.  Much of our work gets done
on
borrowed phone lines, slow internet service providers, used and broken
equipment and not enough time with huge real problems in the field.

It is hoped that our experiences and increasingly our sucesses can provide
assistance to the efforts of other groups.

If the endangered language concept is joined to the endangered people concept,
and that is moved out to the indigenous, and some common ground and
willingness
to help can be found, think what would come of it.  But be warned that the
crisis in many indigenous communities ignored and neglected for so long are
very hostile and one will find themselves thrown off the building so to speak
more than once.  But this should not be reason to descourage one from trying
build this bridge and bring perspectives closer together.

The Akha have been telling me and showing me their personal nightmares and
tragedies for years, and finally I put them on the net.  Some people don't
like
it.  It is not intended to offend, but to give voice from their world to the
world of other peoples.

Matthew

--

Matthew McDaniel
The Akha Heritage Foundation

Web Site:
http://www.akha.com
mailto:akha at loxinfo.co.th

US Address:

Donations by check or money order may be sent to:

The Akha Heritage Foundation
1586 Ewald Ave SE
Salem OR 97302
USA