ELL: Call for Comments, North American Indigenous TLD

Eric Brunner brunner at WORLD.STD.COM
Wed Dec 8 15:27:17 UTC 1999

[ELLers are encouraged to read the attached comment of support. TEB]

You are invited to comment on Position Paper E, which advocates the
creation of a gTLD in the doman name system, at the level of .COM,
.US and .CA to be delegated to and operated by the Indigenous Nations
and Peoples of North America. The comments period opened 17 November,
and closes January 10, 2000.

In brief, Position Paper E provides ICANN with the mechanism to provide
to the National Congress of American Indians and the Assembly of First
Nations as the sponsoring bodies, to in turn provide to the Native DNS
operational community the opportunity to operate a top-level domain.

This is a policy goal which has been pursued by the Native DNS community
since 1992. This will allow improved support for economic, cultural and
social use of the Internet for rural and urban Indigenous communities, as
the attached comment by Loraine Brooks, Library Technician for the Union
of British Columbia Indian Chiefs eloquently states.

To comment simply send email to comments-gtlds at dnso.org, e.g., a subject
line of "I support Position Paper E". In the body of the mail you may add
any comment you like -- Indians have been trying to get a TLD since 1992.

This paper is one of several contained in the Interim Report of Working
Group C of the Domain Names Supporting Organization (DNSO) of the new
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).

The text of the Interim Report may be found at:
    http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/19991023.NCwgc-report.html

The full archives of the WG-C are on line at:
    http://www.dnso.org/wgroups/wg-c/Archives/maillist.html

The full archives of comments on the Interim Report are on line at:
    http://www.dnso.org/dnso/dnsocomments/comments-gtlds/Archives/index.html

Eric Brunner
Principal Author, Position Paper E

http://www.dnso.org/dnso/dnsocomments/comments-gtlds/Archives/msg00191.html