ELL: Re: The Akha and Biodiversity of habitat and language

Matthew McDaniel akha at LOXINFO.CO.TH
Tue Nov 30 00:22:42 UTC 1999

As I think of the kindness of these people, the Akha, their faces etched in
lines, joy, sadness, pain, as I sat on a bamboo step in a hut late last night,
nigh on midnight, talking to an Akha woman who was one of a few people clinging
on with six huts in the middle of a PTT pine plantation, she told me her
husband was dead, seven years now, two kids left 8 and 5, had to farm the 8
year old out to work because not enough food for them all to eat, and five of
her kids already died, then it occurred to me that the drum beat, that the long
drumming that the Akha do at least three times per year, when they drum in
circles that pace on for all night till the rising sun, at rice planting, at
rice work done, at rice harvest done, that maybe they were calling someone,
someone that could help them, someone from other worlds, like long drawn out
infra sound that had to be sent in one long wave, as though somewhere someone
was listening and must hear, and maybe it was time that whoever that was heard
and came back to have a look.  At least it would explain the mornfulness of it
all.

Matthew

mailto:akha at loxinfo.co.th

Discussion Groups: