ELL: further on UNESCO/ICSU and biocultural diversity

Luisa Maffi maffi at NWU.EDU
Mon Nov 29 22:47:07 UTC 1999

The relevant part of a message I received from Aroha Mead (Aotearoa/New
Zealand).

Luisa Maffi

>To: Aroha Mead <meada at tpk.govt.nz>
>From: Luisa Maffi <maffi at nwu.edu>
>Subject: RE: UNESCO/ICSU and biocultural diversity
>Cc: maffi at nwu.edu
>Bcc:
>Greetings, Aroha,
>
>>Kia ora,
>>There were a number of us who worked very hard to inclue appropriate
>>language on the indigenous knowledge and intellectual property issues in the
>>UNESCO Declaration and on the Framework for Action.  It was a process that
>>began a considerable time before the Budapest Conference took place and
>>involved continued input into the drafting of the original documents. This
>>effort was followed up through the effective lobbying at the Budapest
>>Conference itself and through the direct participation of INDIGENOUS
>>representatives ourselves in the final drafting committee of the UNESCO
>>Conference. We also convened a workshop on the ethics of accessing
>>traditional knowledge and this workship provided the final text which made
>>its way into the Declaration on Science.
>
>thank you very much for this information. There's nothing like email for
>piecing puzzles together quickly! I had not read any reports on what went
>into preparing the coference and the ensuing documents, so didn't know
>there was indigenous input--which, needless to say, I'm now delighted to
>learn about! To do justice to this, I'll forward the first part of your
>message to the lists to which I sent the previous one. Again, many thanks
>for your input!

[...]

>>Hope you are well Luisa, cheers, Aroha

[...]

All the best,

>Luisa

Luisa Maffi (Dr.) - Northwestern University - Program in Cognitive
Studies of the Environment - Dept. of Psychology - 102 Swift Hall -
2029 Sheridan Road - Evanston, IL 60208-2710 - USA
Phone: +1.847.4676513 - Fax: +1.847.4917859 - Email: maffi at nwu.edu

Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au