ELL: Waiver

Matthew McDaniel akha at loxinfo.co.th
Sun Oct 3 14:54:12 UTC 1999

<4.0.1.19990928170212.0108a490 at 192.168.1.1> <37F10084.64E41CA7 at loxinfo.co.th>
<003c01bf0a1d$de08a0e0$d86df4d1 at mnchs1.ct.home.com>
To: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

*** EOOH ***
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 21:54:12 +0700
From: Matthew McDaniel <akha at loxinfo.co.th>
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
Subject: ELL: Waiver
Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

Henry:

Well they sure are not black missionaries from the US doing this to the Akha
and others, so why is it that so many whites find it OK, while few American
Indians would come over and do this or American Blacks or American Hispanics.
Possibly because they ARE NOT white.

What should I say, that a person of undetermined color, but always the same
color, coming from always the same place keeps doing the same thing?

White people hate being generalized and picked on while they do it to
the Akha
and Blacks and Orietnals and all the rest all the time.  Don't you read
American papaers, European papers?

I can not say why it is almost solely white people doing this, but don't you
think one might make note of it?

It is part of white religious culture in my opinion to do this.  Why is that
such a leap in logic.
But for me to point it out is racist?
Give me a break.
It is this whole accepted missionary attitude that helps benefit all the
whites
while everyone says they don't aggree with the actions but continue to benefit
from them.  Colonization.  Neo colonization.  You don't think that American
Missions continue to be part of that process and that these actions don't
continue to benefit Americans in general?

Someone stated that it is inevitable that they will continue to do this.
 disagree.  I say it is not and that this kind of abuse of indigenous people
 should be fought in all quarters.

 It is just that in very concrete cases where it appears to be ok that
 the cost
 of the mission is that people loose their culture, this is rationalized and
 justified and shrugged aside as if well ya gonna be raped, may as well
 lay back
 and enjoy it.

 It is an attitude.

 I suggested that people should seriously consider the actions of
 missions if
 they are serious about language protection and take concrete action
 against the
 clear cases that exist where people's heritage and culture are being trashed.

 But did you know there is almost no venue for this in the white
 dominated west?

 Isn't it odd that in the White dominated west, there is little venue for
 addressing missionary abuses and the missionaries in most cases happen
 to be
 white and come from the west?

 Is there then here some bias or colusion?

 It would appear that missionaries are going to get little more than their
 continued waiver to keep doing the same things that they have been
 doing for centuries all the while denying it.

 So where does that leave us?

 Matthew

 --

 Matthew McDaniel
 The Akha Heritage Foundation

 US Address:

 Donations by check or money order may be sent to:

 The Akha Heritage Foundation
 PO BOX 6073
 Salem OR 97304
 USA

 Donations by direct banking can be transferred to:
 (Preferred)

 Wells Fargo Bank
 Akha Heritage Foundation
 Acc. # 0081-889693