ELL: Re: New SIL Alias

Matthew McDaniel akha at loxinfo.co.th
Tue Sep 21 15:39:16 UTC 1999

x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
To: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

*** EOOH ***
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 22:39:16 +0700
From: Matthew McDaniel <akha at loxinfo.co.th>
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au, ntm at ntm.org,
        Missionwatchnetwork <missionwatchnetwork at onelist.com>,
	        "sovernspeakout at egroups.com" <sovernspeakout at egroups.com>
		Subject: Re: ELL: Re: New SIL Alias
		Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

		Dear New Tribes Mission:

		What is your policy on protecting the traditional culture of
		the tribal
		peoples you work with?

		Can you prove that you do not displace their traditional
		culture and what
		actions and oversight you take to guarantee that this does not
		happen even on
		the part of unskilled evangelists, or zealots as some like to
		call them?

		Do you have an ethic for your treatment of tribal peoples
		regarding the utmost
		respect for who they are, what they believe and the culture
		that they practice
		and can you show that you succeed in enforcing that among your
		workers and
		that it is an ethic that is made available to the public?

		Thankyou

		Matthew McDaniel

		Jeff ALLEN wrote:

		> At 18:50 21/09/99 +0800, Lindsay.J.Whaley at dartmouth.edu
                  wrote:
		  > >Before the flames against SIL grow too large, I would
                  like to mention that
		  > >there is an American based missions organization called
                  New Tribes (known
		  > >as Neuvas Tribus in at least some parts of Latin
                  America).

		  > The full name is New Tribes Mission (NTM), commonly
                  referred to as New
		  > Tribes in circles where they are known (missions
                  conferences, Bible schools
		  > and seminaries, etc). All of the New Tribes missionaries
                  that I have known
		  > in the past worked in Latin America.  New Tribes has been
                  around for quite
		  > some time, at least 15 years, but surely longer.  I had a
                  friend who grew
		  > up as a child in South America (possibly even born there)
                  as a New Tribes
		  > Missionary kid and she is around 30 years of age right
                  now.

		  > Info about New Tribes can be found at:
		  >
		  > Web site: www.ntm.org
		  >
		  > North America International Headquarters (USA)
		  > New Tribes Mission
		  > 1000 E. First St.
		  > Sanford FL 32771  USA
		  > Phone: 407-323-3430
		  > Fax: 407-330-0376
		  > E-mail: ntm at ntm.org
		  >
		  > > Perhaps the missionaries Diego encountered in Panama
		  > >were with this mission rather than SIL.  If so, then it
                  would be best not
		  > >to attribute an act of subterfuge to SIL.
		  >
		  > It would also be important to investigate if there was
                  missionary borrowing
		  > happening between New Tribes Mission and SIL.  This
                  happens from time to
		  > time, especially for special projects.  In these types of
                  cases, one
		  > mission loans missionary/ies to another mission for a
                  period of time for
		  > specific projects.  I know of missionaries who are
                  currently on loan from
		  > one mission to another for a designated amount of
                  time. There are usually
		  > practical reasons for doing this (allowing missionaries
                  originally from a
		  > different organization to live for an extended period of
                  time on the
		  > premises of the host organization, ability to receive
                  ongoing on-site
		  > medical aid from the host organization, etc.).   If
                  missionary borrowing is

--

Matthew McDaniel
The Akha Heritage Foundation

US Address:

Donations by check or money order may be sent to:

The Akha Heritage Foundation
PO BOX 6073
Salem OR 97304
USA

Donations by direct banking can be transferred to:
(Preferred)

Wells Fargo Bank
Akha Heritage Foundation
Acc. # 0081-889693