No subject

Thu Sep 30 01:54:29 UTC 1999

owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au using -f
From: Sally Thomason <thomason at umich.edu>
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
Subject: ELL: terrorism incitement vs. academic discussion
To: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

*** EOOH ***
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 09:54:29 +0800 (WST)
From: Sally Thomason <thomason at umich.edu>
To: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

Let's see: Matthew McDaniel urges us to destroy churches and
then, when challenged by Jeff Allen, insists that he was talking
about `dismantling' and not violent destroying and/or that he had
accidental collisions with churches in mind; then Diego Quesada
suggests that it's perfectly all right to incite people to
violence because the CIA won't care unless the victims are connected
to powerful interests, and that in any case the victims are racist
and don't deserve protecting.  Postings like this -- in fact, from
what I've seen, *all* the postings from these two list members --
make me want to desubscribe to this list, reluctantly, because, like
Jeff, I value the non-yelling-and-shouting postings on relevant
topics from other list members.  But then Henry Szymonik posts a
really interesting message about relationships between introduced
religion and Native peoples.

  I wish this list were moderated so that flames could be rejected.
  Alternatively, I wish people who like to denounce other people could
  learn to exercise some self-control so that list members who are
  interested in less passionate discussion could learn from all the
  informative & courteous other list members.  Maybe they could learn
  this if they could somehow come to understand that diatribes will
  convince absolutely nobody.

     -- Sally Thomason

     ----
     Endangered-Languages-L Forum: