No subject

Franz Dotter franz.dotter at uni-klu.ac.at
Thu Sep 30 06:54:26 UTC 1999

	*** EOOH ***
	Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 08:54:26 +0200
	From: "Franz Dotter" <franz.dotter at uni-klu.ac.at>
	To: <ling040 at cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>,
	        <endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au>
	Sender: owner-endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au

	Having looked from a distance to the debate, the mail of Joan
	motivates me to look at our electronic discussion from a pragmatic
	view (in which my view of communication between scientists is
	contained):

	I start with an example from my university:
	It is usual that the mail address "everyone" is used when a flat is
	for rent or there are salmons for sale before Christmas. No one got
	upset about this 'trash'. But when hot political controversies came up
	during the Kosovo war over this address, there were some who wanted
	the "everyone" address to be deleted. Our informatics centre did that,
	but recently has reopened it.

	What do I deduce from that example:
	There are many people who do not like controversies or hard statements
	(may they be wrong or true if this is a category at all looking
	constructively on them).
	In the tradition of enlightment and Freud and others I plea for open
	discussions of every sort. Anybody who does not want that can easily
	delete the respective mails.

	Concerning the content of the missionaries discussion:
	I am proud that some Christians are open-minded enough to think about
	the pro's and con's of mission (other religions do not) and about the
	role of our western civilisation in the confrontation or communication
	between cultures. If we had no such discussions, we would lose an
	important element of our culture.

	Therfore:
	1. Please do not flee the list when discussion come up which you do
	not like.
	2. Do not prohhibit any discussion.
	3. It is on the discussion and the learning from them that too hard
	formulations are to be revisited by their authors.

	Sorry, that's my exerting opinion.

	Franz Dotter

University of Klagenfurt
Research Center for Sign Language and Communication of the Hearing Impaired
(of the Faculty for Cultural Sciences at the Department of Linguistics and
Computational Linguistics)
Funded by: Bundessozialamt Kaernten, European Social Fund
Head: Franz Dotter
Collaborators: Elisabeth Bergmeister (deaf), Marlene Hilzensauer, Klaudia
Krammer, Andrea Skant, Ingeborg Okorn (deaf), Manuela Hobel (deaf)
Homepage: http://www.uni-klu.ac.at/fzgs
Deaf server (in German): http://deaf.uni-klu.ac.at

>>> ling040 <ling040 at cantva.canterbury.ac.nz> 30.09.1999  04.01 Uhr >>>
Some of you will have noticed another message regarding unsubscribing last
week as well.  When I first started subscribing to ELL a similarly
vociferous/imflammatory etc. discussion was taking place, and I, too,
considered unsubscribing.  This latest 'discussion' is not encouraging.
Unfortunately I need to maintain contact with this list because I know of no
other relating to endangered languages.

Can't we just agree to disagree and get on talking about issues in such a way
that we help each other rather than alientate each other?  I don't think the
missionary debate is leading anywhere positive.

Yours,

Joan Smith/Kocamahhul

>===== Original Message From endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
=====
>FYI, I am unsubscribing from the ELL list that allows for, and thus
>condones, terrorist discussions that I have no desire hearing or being
>associated with any further. If anyone wants to contact me regarding my
>message sent this past evening, it will now have to be done directly cuz I
>won't see it posted to a list that I am no longer subscribed to.
>
>Best wishes to you all in your future discussions.
>
>Jeff
>----

Joan Smith/Kocamahhul
Department of Linguistics