ELL: Tr : arsclist how to archive your language and other matters

Claire Bowern bowern at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Oct 18 06:17:38 UTC 2000

A couple of comments on the various media.
Firstly, I'm surprised that anyone is recommending reel-to-reel. There is a
big problem with older archival materials in this format that the tape
becomes brittle over time; it's probably less of a problem with tapes made
now than it is with reels over 50 years old but it's still a major drawback
and a reason why many institutions (such as the National Film and Sound
Archive in Australia) are converting reels to other media

Anything magnetic (like conventional audio tapes) will get demagnetised
over time and is not a good 'permanent' medium.

Re digital deterioration: The most common cause of CD deterioration is the
CD getting scratches. Computer hard drives  build up errors because of the
constant read-write that's going on during processing. This doesn't happen
when a CD-ROM is played because it's read-only; the only equivalent of the
'write' that happens to a hard drive is if the grooves get dirty or
scratched. There's also physical deterioration of the metal, but I think
after the scare of corroding CDs in Germany in the early 90s the
manufacturers have fixed that problem, at least for the time being.

Another point to consider is retrieving items off the tape/cd/reel. It's
easy to tag the beginning of a segment on a CD (it's just a new track) and
so it's very easy to retrieve individual stories, whereas for tapes and
reels it's necessary to cue the tape and have a detailed audition sheet and
so on.

I'd go with DAT and minidiscs, with a paper copy (acid-free paper) of
transcriptions as another backup. It's easy to transfer these between other
media (eg DAT to magnetic audio cassette).

If all else fails, there's charcoal ink and papyrus buried in sand in a
warm and dry climate, but it makes information retrieval a bit hard...

Best wishes for your project!

Claire Bowern

_________________________________
Department of Linguistics