ELL: Italian dialects - status of the European Charter

Nicholas Ostler nostler at CHIBCHA.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon Jan 15 10:38:28 UTC 2001

At 9:26 am +0800 15/1/01, Joan Smith/Kocamahhul wrote:
>Luisa Maffi wrote:
>
>  > Also, anyone who knows what the current status of the European Charter on
>>  Regional Languages is in Italy? I think Italy signed it but I don't know
>>  whether it has ratified it. And any info on where to get the text of the
>  > Charter? Is it on the web somewhere?

I seem to have missed Luisa's original message. Anyway, a convenient
update on the status of languages under the Charter is the front page
of the European Bureau for Lesser Used Languages' CONTACT BULLETIN.

I have just received the December 2000 issue, and according to this,
Italy has signed the charter, but not ratified it.

They give a web site for further details
http://conventions.coe.int/treaty/fr/
but I have not been able to access it.

EBLUL's home-page is http://www.eblul.org
but does not seem to have Contact Bulletin on line.

                        Nicholas   Ostler
                            President
               Foundation for Endangered Languages
                   Registered Charity 1070616