ELL: Re: Dying Languages List

sidahmed sidahmed at EMIRATES.NET.AE
Fri Jun 1 15:35:36 UTC 2001

Greetings
I believe you missed te Nubian language in Sudan and South Egypt..Nubian
Civilzation had  been one of the two greatest civilzations of Africa (Old Egypt
and Nubia)..Nowadays the descendents of Old Nubia still live in Sudan and
southern part of Egypt and still talk Old Nubian..After the fall of Christian
Nubian Kingdom  of Sudan in the 15th century  and Nubian voluntarily converted
to Islam the written old nubian language started to be replaced by Arabic
..However forced assimilation policies during Turko-Egyptian rule of Sudan and
later on Anglo-Egyptian rule until indepndence in additional central arabized
Government of Sudan  later  the Old nubian ceased to be a written
language..However over the last 3 decades and after the  inundation of  a large
part my Homeland (Nubia) by Egyptian High Dam several historian,archaeolgists,
scholars, linguistics started to dig into this great civilzation and Old Nubian
languages..A group of Nubian scholars benefited from the work of such scholars
to verify and rediscover Nubian fonts( found in some Bibilcal Scripts ) and
started recently to use it for writing Nubian..In this respect the  role of the
Nubian Studies and documenation Centre  in Cairo (a Sudanese subject operating
from there) as well as the role of th late Nubian archaeologist and  linguistic
the late Dr. Mokhtar Khalil as well as the great Nubialogist  Dr. Geraled Browne

is hard to miss..
The Nubian Language use characters which used to be the prevailing charcters at
those early days and used by Greek and Copts as well.
You all are cordially invited to read my Online  Entry  at Lexicorient (where
I'm the Nubian co-editor www.lexicorient.com) on Nubian Language at:
http://lexicorient.com/cgi-bin/eo-direct-frame.pl?http://lexicorient.com/e.o/nubian_l.htm

Furthermore you all are also invited to browse at my Nubian page ( chosen by
Awsome library as one of the Top 5% in K-12 education sources ) :
www.visitweb.com/nubian     and my Nubia Pages "the  Link2Go Award Winner Sudan
Resource site"  at:http://i-cias.com/private/abubakr/nubia/index.htm

I've attached the verfied and accredited  Nubian Fonts (TruType MS Fonts) with
thsi msg for the benefit of all..The Nubian Studies and Doc. Centre(NSDC)  in
Cairo conducts nowadays courses on Writing Nubian as as well as publishing
relevant text books ..Since the Centre is maninained and finaced individually
it looks forward for the support of all who are interested in  old and dying
languages ..You can e-mail NSDC at :Nobein Nob <nobein at hotmail.com>

best wishes
abubakr sidahmed
Nubian Activist & editor

Lucas Husgen wrote:

> Thanks to you all for the lists!Though working with language, I'm not a
> professional in the field of endangered languages, got struck by this
> subject through assessing 'vanishing voices' for a Dutch publishing company
> some months ago, so I do not even have this particular book itself...
>
> Lists will be very useful, thanks once again.
>
> Lucas Husgen

SAVE THE LIVES OF SUDANESE NATIONALS IN LEBANON
Read : http://members.fortunecity.com/diaa2/urgent_call.htm
sign your name: http://www.sudaneseonline.com/petitions/
Never violate the sacredness of your individual self-respect
Justice, Equality and PEACE to Save Sudan
SAVE NUBIA****NO to' Kajbar Dam"  to SAVE NUBIA
abubakr sidahmed<abubakr at i-cias.com>
Web Author: Nubian Homepage: http://www.visitweb.com/nubian
Nubian editor: http://i-cias.com/abubakr.htm  ..