ELL: RE: Dictionary Making software

Nicholas Thieberger n.thieberger at LINGUISTICS.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Sat Mar 3 23:36:20 UTC 2001

Excel is easy, but you get out what you put in. If you want a
comparative wordlist it is fine. If you want dictionary entries, with
different senses, examples, semantic fields etc, then you should use
Shoebox from SIL.

A database will work, but only for flat entries, those that have no
subentries or senses distinguished.

There are web sites about lexicography and dictionary software which
you can find on the web.

Nick Thieberger

--

Department of Linguistics and Applied Linguistics
University of Melbourne
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au