ELL: RE: RE: References on basic linguistics

Rand Valentine jrvalent at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Mon May 14 02:28:34 UTC 2001

  Hi, Tom, and thank you so much for answering my query. You're the only
person so far! Must not be a hot topic. Yes, I'd love it if you'd send me
the chapters. The reason for my request is that a group of Ho-Cak (the
artists formerly known as the Winnebagos (Siouan)) showed up on campus,
asking for help with their language retention program, and asked for basic
linguistic helps. I'm at a loss to find things that are usable by
non-linguists. One obvious thought came to mind after I wrote my request--
the Collins Cobuild English Grammar. I think it would be hugely valuable to
have a website dedicated to the nuts and bolts of teaching-based language
documentation. My grammar will address this a little (a grammar of a dialect
of Ojibwe), but it's only the meagerest beginning (at 1100 pages). There is
just _so_ much.

  So, I hope you guys are fabulously well, I think of the two of you often,
always with great appreciation for the work that you do. I'm teaching three
courses at the Indian language program in Thunder Bay this summer,
lexicography, derivational morphology, and "syntax." Every year I struggle
so hard with these issues, but the three week course is always an utterly
impossible trial by fire, where by the second day I'm hanging on for dear
life-- I have two languages and four orthographies in the same classroom. So
are you still doing the summer SIL thing?

  Do you know for sure if Bartholomew and Schoenhals is out of print? It
wasn't listed on the SIL publications web stuff, though I wrote a note
asking for verification and permission to photocopy. They are always really,
really slow at answering such things in Dallas.

rand

----
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at carmen.murdoch.edu.au