ELL: Re: Literature and endangered languages

Julia Sallabank julia at TORTEVAL.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Nov 14 14:49:06 UTC 2001

Dear Dennis

I am doing research on Guernesiais (Guernsey Norman French), the highly
endangered native language of Guernsey, Channel Isles. Every year there is
an Eisteddfod, a general cultural festival which includes competitions in
reciting poetry and prose, plays and sketches, etc. in guernesiais. There
are classes for different levels of expertise in the langauge. I intend to
attend this in March 2002 (and possibly enter it in the future!). The
guernesiais part of the festival has grown over the last few years and now
covers two evenings rather than one. As well as the recitation of 'classics'
(poetry and stories written by acknowledged masters), a great deal of
creativity and literacy in the language is engendered by the event (this is
a language which is generally seen as spoken only). It is not a tourist
event; it is held in the winter and is taken very seriously by contestants.

However, it is unclear to what extent such events actually contribute to
language revitalization, i.e. to intergenerational use in the home.
I would have thought indirectly, by encouraging pride in the native
language.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Best wishes

Julia Sallabank