ELL: Re: Language policies in USSR

Andres Heinapuu andres at SURI.EE
Tue Nov 27 19:52:40 UTC 2001

Look:

Language Policy in the former Soviet Union by Harold F. Schiffman
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~haroldfs/540/handouts/ussr/soviet2.html

Bruchis, Michael. One step back, twosa steps forward: on the language policy
of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union in the national republics.
Boulder: East European Monographs; New York: Columbia UP, 1982

(in the so-called "national republics" the language policy was more liberal
than in so-called "autonomous republics" or "autonomous districts", for
example, in 60-s in some republics it was even possible to teach in
universities in "republican" language, but in most of "autonomies" all
"national" secondary schools switched their language of instruction to
Russian).

Following publications, too, enclude some data about Soviet language policy:

Red Book of the Peoples of the Russian Empire:
http://www.eki.ee/books/redbook/
Endangered Uralic Peoples: http://www.suri.ee/eup/

Janhunen, Juha. Ethnic Death and Survival in Soviet North - Journal de la
Société Finno-Ougrienne  83, 1991, 111-122.

Lallukka, Seppo. The East Finnic Minorities in the Soviet Union: An
Appraisal of Erosive Trends. Helsinki, 1990 (Annales Academiae Scientiarum
Fennicae; B-252)

Human Rights Problems in Russia: The Situation of Non-Russian Peoples
by Xenophont Sanukov: http://www.suri.ee/kongress/sanukov.html

On Northern Peoples you can find some materials from www.raipon.org, too.

Andres Heinapuu
manager of SURI