ELL: Q: Computer Localization for Minority Languages

Peter Constable Peter_Constable at SIL.ORG
Mon Oct 1 15:58:08 UTC 2001

I've been away for a couple of weeks, else I would have responded to this
earlier.

On 09/21/2001 05:23:41 PM Chuck Coker wrote:

>With most, if not all, of modern computer operating systems, one can
easily
>switch back and forth between "localizations"...

>What I would like to know is:
>
>1. Has anyone else already done this for minority languages anywhere in
the
>world? I don't want to spend my time reinventing something that already
>exists.

I don't understand what it is you want to avoid. Software localisation
must be done for any given software product -- there is no possible way to
do a localisation project for language X and have it work for unspecified
products. Not only is it necessary to prepare localised versions of the
resources needed for a given application, but the application must also be
explicitly written to allow those alternate-language resources to be used.

>2. Is there a need for such a product?

In view of what I said above, this is the wrong question. You should be
asking in relation to specific applications whether there is a need for
them to be localised for specific languages.

If we want to ask the general question as to whether there is a need for
software products (in general) to be localised for minority languages, the
answer is "yes". But that doesn't tell you just what work should be done.

>If I did develop localization
>"modules" for minority languages, would anybody have an interest in using
>them?

The answer will depend upon the particular languages but also the
particular software products.

>3. Does anyone have any thoughts about developing localization "modules"
>support minority languages?

In addition to what I said earlier, I can give you a little more info on
how to go about localising software products on Windows, if you want.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable at sil.org>