ELL: Akha Journal Sept 29, 2001

Matthew McDaniel akha at LOXINFO.CO.TH
Sat Sep 29 07:48:05 UTC 2001

Dear Friends:

1.
An Akha teacher named Ah Pah states that the Akha children at the
boarding school where he works in Chiangrai are being seperated from
their language and culture.  The boarding school is run by missionaries
from Malaysia.  Ah Pah states that the children are being taught by the
missionaries at the boarding school that they must be like the Thais
because they are in Thailand, and that they have no right to the land in
the mountains where their parents live.  No comment is made regarding
issues of "land tenure".

No comment is being made that the Taiwanese are buying up as much
interest in this very valuable land as they can.

Please make a donation for publishing literature to alert the Akha
villagers not to allow their children to go to the boarding schools away
from the villages.

Your donation will also help us to print books and support schools in
the Akha villages by and for the Akha.

Both of these situations will improve the ability of the Akha to hold
onto their precious farm land by being healthier villages.

Please visit http://www.akha.org/donate.htm

2.
Our work is totally dependent on our mobility to the Akha villages.
Currently we are in need of repairs to the truck, and new tires.

Your donation will purchase these needed items.

3.
In the Factsheet "Writing" Section I have updated the page with new
material. Please visit for a new chapter from my book about working with
the Akha.  "Bridge of Hope" in its rough draft form.
http://www.akha.org/bridgeofhope.htm

4.
A new list of documents related to our work, from human rights to
endangered languages, have been added to our document section.
http://www.akha.org/akha2/docs/documents.htm

--
Matthew McDaniel
The Akha Heritage Foundation

Join The Growing International Effort To Protect The Akha
Sign The Petition To The Thai Government
On Line At:
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/AkhaZauh/petition.html

http://www.akha.org

Donations:
PayPal: https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=akha%40loxinfo.co.th

Credit Card Donation Site:
http://www.drugwar.com/store/proddetail.cfm?ItemID=12&CategoryID=6

Your donation goes to infant care, vitamins, medical supplies, wells,
bread and fish for the villages.

Donations by check or money order may be sent to:
The Akha Heritage Foundation
PO BOX 6073
Salem OR 97304  USA