ELL: Re: Additional suggestion to UNESCO/Discovery

David Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Thu Apr 25 17:15:30 UTC 2002

Additional suggestion to UNESCO/DiscoveryIts sad to see that prejudice still endangers languages in our supposedly civilized world. Not too long ago, indigenous peoples worldwide faces similar actions on the part of the colonizers, resulting in the genocidal destruction of cultures, languages, and peoples that pales what is happening contemporarily. An estimated 90 million indigenous people were genocidally murdered worldwide. Humans do not seem to learn from the actions of the past.
David Lewis

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Akira Y. Yamamoto
  To: endangered-languages-l at cleo.murdoch.edu.au
  Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 8:00 PM
  Subject: ELL: Additional suggestion to UNESCO/Discovery

  We have an additional suggestion to the list we've prepared for UNESCO/Discovery Channel Project, Phase I.  This comes:

  Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:11:59 -0700
  From: Noel Rude <nrude at Ballangrud.com>
  Subject: Endangered Language

  A suggestion: Include Israeli Hebrew.  Yes, there are six plus million native speakers, but with the massive effort on the part of the Muslim world, the European Union, and Leftist Intellectuals everywhere to delegitimize Israel and drive this flegeling nation out of its native Middle East, Hebrew as a living language truly is endangered.  Hebrew, of course, is native only to this one tiny strip of land, and happens to be the only language endangered by such universal prejudice and intense genocidal hatred.

  (Mr.) Akira Y. Yamamoto
  The University of Kansas
  Department of Anthropology
  Fraser Hall 622