ELL: Journalist writing article about language preservation

Angelique van Engelen jjwvane at KABELFOON.NL
Fri Aug 30 15:39:33 UTC 2002

Dear all,
I am a journalist writing an article about language diversity and its links with bio diversity and I am looking to find actual examples of how languages contain that magical information about ecosystems or plants or animals or whatever nature is supposed to hide from us and that linguists are so enthusiastic about.
Apart from the grub reference in the much lamented article by the WSJ I have not found anything on the internet to this effect. Does someone have samples that show if not magnify the importance of language preservation?
Regards,
Angelique van Engelen