ELL: Wall Street Journal editorial

Jim Mason jimmason at LONGNOW.ORG
Wed Mar 27 00:42:25 UTC 2002

well, i have to admit that when i was hosting a group of artists from papua
new guinea at stanford to create an outdoor sculpture garden, they got very
excited about burger king whoppers.  the whopper was the meal of choice, day
after day after day, despite my pleadings to the contrary.  no one even so
much as mentioned a single word in four months about searching out a local
franchise for sago grubs.  and as one who has eaten them on several
occassions in png, under several different preparations, i can understand
their lack of interest . . . ;-)

but sago flour pancakes are another matter.  i'll burn my fingers day after
day after day making those little delcitables in a beat up carbonized
sauspan over open flame, despite the claims of blandness often heard to the
contrary . . .

jim

----
Endangered-Languages-L Forum: endangered-languages-l at cleo.murdoch.edu.au