Small house, big forum

David Nathan dn2 at SOAS.AC.UK
Thu Feb 12 20:12:25 UTC 2004

Dear EL list

I am grateful to a correspondent who remarked that in my earlier message it would have been better to distinguish between "public domain" and "public forum". More specifically, my message should have said "the materials were already in the public forum".

In the technical sense described by the correspondent, public domain materials have no legal protection, while much of the work that many of us do is in the public forum, ie put forward to be viewed and discussed, while retaining dissemination rights.

This distinction also helps identify some of the problems that have arisen.

- David Nathan