Most Recently Recorded Data on Kusunda Language

Randy LaPolla ctrandy at CITYU.EDU.HK
Sun Mar 7 02:34:07 UTC 2004

Dear B. K. Rana,
Thank you very much for making the Kusunda language available. I want
to clarify one thing, though, as it may lead to confusion among the
readers of the EL list:

> 1) ipan  (maize), sisin, (paddy), kharubau (wheat) etc. in Kusunda
> cannot be found in other TB languages .

The implication here seems to be that Kusunda is a Tibeto-Burman
language. While I understand there are a number of opinions about the
genetic affiliation of Kusunda, it is very clearly not a Tibeto-Burman
language.

All the best,
Randy

Randy J. LaPolla, PhD
Associate Professor of Linguistics
Dept of Chinese, Translation, and Linguistics
City University of Hong Kong
Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon
Hong Kong
Tel.: (852) 2788-8075; FAX: (852) 2788-8706
personal Web page: http://personal.cityu.edu.hk/~ctrandy/