Most Recently Recorded Data on Kusunda Language

B. K. Rana bk_rana at YAHOO.COM
Sun Mar 7 03:13:17 UTC 2004

Dear Randy J. LaPolla,

Many thanks for the  comment. Actually,  I do not mean  what you have underlined in your message.  I am still working on this language.

Previously,  I  had an impression that the language had  some sort of  TB affinities. For more, please see my another paper at http://vedavid.org/rana

Kusunda could be a great language family [Kusunda Mahabhasa] itself. There are a number of  Sanskrit, English and other words in Kusunda.

Thanks,

BKR

Randy LaPolla <ctrandy at CITYU.EDU.HK> wrote:
Dear B. K. Rana,
Thank you very much for making the Kusunda language available. I want
to clarify one thing, though, as it may lead to confusion among the
readers of the EL list:

> 1) ipan  (maize), sisin, (paddy), kharubau (wheat) etc. in Kusunda
> cannot be found in other TB languages .

The implication here seems to be that Kusunda is a Tibeto-Burman
language. While I understand there are a number of opinions about the
genetic affiliation of Kusunda, it is very clearly not a Tibeto-Burman
language.

All the best,
Randy

Randy J. LaPolla, PhD
Associate Professor of Linguistics
Dept of Chinese, Translation, and Linguistics
City University of Hong Kong
Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon
Hong Kong
Tel.: (852) 2788-8075; FAX: (852) 2788-8706
personal Web page: http://personal.cityu.edu.hk/~ctrandy/