Native Language Immersion Bill Placed on Suspension Calendar

Carolyn Hepburn Carolyn.Hepburn at SAULTCOLLEGE.CA
Fri Sep 22 20:12:29 UTC 2006

Fyi.

Thanks

Carolyn

Native Language Immersion Bill Placed on the Suspension Calendar- NEEDS TRIBAL LETTERS OF SUPPORT TO PASS

The Esther Martinez Native American Languages Preservation Act of 2006, H.R. 4766 will be on the suspension calendar in the House of Representatives the week of September 25th which means that the House will vote on the bill next week. This bill will create grant programs under the Department of Health and Human Services for Native language survival schools, Native language nests, and Native language restoration programs. Representative Heather Wilson, (R-NM) introduced this legislation during NIEA’s Legislative Summit and has been working very closely with NIEA and Indian Country to turn the bill into law. Most recently, the House Education and Workforce Committee held field hearing on the bill in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Co-sponsors of H.R. 4766 include Representatives Rick Renzi (R-AZ), Tom Udall (D-NM), Steve Pearce (R-NM), and Mark Udall (D-CO).

NIEA is requesting that all tribes, tribal Education departments, and schools express their support for this bill that will provide critical support for our languages. A sample letter is attached to send to your congressional delegation in both the House of Representatives and the Senate. We have a short time frame (by Monday) to get these letters into your congressional delegation and leadership on the House Education and Workforce Committee and Senate Committee on Indian Affairs. The attached letters are addressed to the House Education and Workforce Committee and the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs, but can be tailored to your individual Congressional members. PLEASE have your tribes, tribal education departments, and schools send in the letters to your congressional representatives TODAY and MONDAY. We do not have time to lose! If you have any questions- please feel free to contact NIEA at (202)544-7290.

Please send the letters to your congressional representatives and the four fax #’s below.

Senate Committee on Indian Affairs fax #s (202) 224-5429 (Majority) and (202)228-2589 (Minority)
House Education and Workforce Committee fax #s (202)225-9571 (Majority), and (202)226-4864 (Minority)

Please send a copy to the National Indian Education Association fax # (202) 544-7293

Cut and paste the following text.

SAMPLE LETTER TO THE HOUSE

September __, 2006

The Honorable Howard "Buck" McKeon
Chairman
Education and the Workforce Committee
U.S. House of Representatives
2181 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515

The Honorable George Miller
Ranking Member
Education and the Workforce Committee
U.S. House of Representatives
2181 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515

Dear Chairman McKeon and Ranking Member Miller:

On behalf of ___________, I support H.R. 4766, the Esther Martinez Native American Languages Preservation Act of 2006. I understand that this bill will be on the suspension calendar in the House of Representatives the week of September 25th. We urge the House to pass this critical legislation.

There is a crisis loss of Native languages across the country. It is estimated that only twenty indigenous languages will remain viable by the year 2050. Our Native languages are not spoken anywhere else in the world; and, if they are not preserved, they will disappear forever. Given the rapid pace of deterioration of Native languages, it is a race against the clock to save Native languages.

The key to stemming the loss of Native languages is by significantly increasing support for Native American language immersion programs. It is well proven that language immersion programs are one of the few effective ways to create fluent speakers in Native languages. Further, data shows that Native students who participate in an immersion program attain higher academic success compared to their Native peers who do not participate in these programs.

The United States should do all that it can to preserve Native American languages as these languages played a vital role in protecting our country during World Wars I and II. Also, as a result of federal assimilationist policies in the early and mid-1900’s, many Native people stopped speaking their Native languages because they were forced to attend Bureau of Indian Affairs boarding schools that harshly forbid the speaking of Native languages.

Currently, under existing law, the Administration for Native Americans, Health and Human Services, administers a Native American languages revitalization grant program under the Native American Programs Act of 1974. H.R. 4766 would provide for expanded uses under the current grant program to allow for Native American language immersion grants. The language immersion grants would assist Native communities as they work to revitalize and protect their languages for generations to come.

We appreciate your efforts to help us save our Native American languages and look forward to working with you to ensure that this legislation is enacted into law.

Sincerely,

SAMPLE LETTER TO THE SENATE

September __, 2006

The Honorable John McCain Chairman Indian Affairs Committee U.S. Senate Washington, D.C. 20510

The Honorable Byron Dorgan Vice Chairman Indian Affairs Committee U.S. Senate Washington, D.C. 20510

Dear Chairman McCain and Vice Chairman Dorgan:

On behalf of ___________, I strongly support H.R. 4766, the Esther Martinez Native American Languages Preservation Act of 2006. I understand that this bill will be on the suspension calendar in the House of Representatives the week of September 25th. This bill will likely pass the House, and we urge the Senate to pass the House bill by unanimous consent.

[...]

……………

Please distribute and thank you for your support!

Carolyn Hepburn

Director, Native Education and Training

Sault College of Applied Arts and Technology

443 Northern Avenue

Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 5L3

Phone: (705) 759-2554 ext. 2499

Fax:     (705) 759-0175