basic word list

r valentine jrvalent at WISC.EDU
Tue May 25 03:04:53 UTC 2010

Another potentially interesting vocabulary set is that of Charles Ogden's
Basic English, which you can easily find on Wikipedia (look up Basic English
for background and links). Any endangered language documentation/promotion
project would benefit from being aware of it and thinking through functional
equivalents.

Rand Valentine
University of Wisconsin-Madison

On May 24, 2010, at 9:26 PM, Xavier Barker <meibitobure.gaunibwe at GMAIL.COM>
wrote:

> Hi Mary,
> I'd agree with Eduardo: in the case of Nauruan, whilst it still enjoys pretty
solid intergenerational transmission, much of the kinship terms have disappeared
over the last 70 years.  'cousin' has replaced about 6 different terms, for
example.   In addition, a lot of syntactic loss has happened - the expansion of
a couple of once-quite-specific noun classifiers to cover about 25 'lost'
classifications comes to mind.  Maybe to add confusion, i remember reading an
article (which i can't remember) which was trying to flag rapid phonological
change as a indicator of endangeredness.