basic word list

Don Killian donald.killian at HELSINKI.FI
Tue May 25 07:48:12 UTC 2010

Dear Mary,

I worked with a group of Central Khoesan speakers in South Africa, and I
have to say that it would be difficult to give any sort of word list.
Many people did know the numbers and some important cultural concepts,
but it was often the ability to describe day to day things which was
lacking. English was also quite often lacking comparable words for
elicitation, so words like 'kx'o, to eat meat' simply wouldn't be asked
about and you wouldn't know whether they're missing it or not.

If your primary objective is to see whether a language is in decline,
then at least personally I'd feel it's more important to examine
communicative competency than lexical borrowing. How well are the
speakers able to describe something monolingually?  Assuming they're
still in their native environment, are they capable of discussing day to
day situations (in which they normally would use their language) without
code switching?

Barring being able to do that, the Swadesh list is probably your best
alternative.

All the best,

Don