Moving Window

Susan Campbell susanc at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Aug 29 15:00:46 UTC 2002

There are definitely ways to do both of those things in the moving window
paradigm that PST posted online.  It would involve encasing certain
statements in "if...then" statements -- you could count the number of
words in each set, then when the number of items exceeds the count, you
could terminate.  And using different delimiters would involve changing
the "Phrase = Item$" statements such that the last argument (currently
"/") became whatever delimiting character you wanted to use.

I'd also suggest, however, that you look at the two moving window paradigm
examples that we have up on the STEP site.  The first uses a table to
store words (instead of using slash-delimited text), and the sentences
are of variable length (with arrows in the blanks).  In the second, all
the sentences are the same length, but certain positions have words that
vary.

E-Prime files:
http://step.psy.cmu.edu/scripts/ZipFiles/just.zip
http://step.psy.cmu.edu/scripts/ZipFiles/MacDonald1993.zip

Supporting materials:
http://step.psy.cmu.edu/scripts/Linguistics/Just1982.html
http://step.psy.cmu.edu/scripts/Linguistics/MacDonald1993.html

Hope this helps,
Susan Campbell
STEP Project E-Prime Person, Carnegie Mellon